Friday, August 28, 2009

Cellar

If you click on this picture and look closely you'll see more than one weed, especially the three leaf "let it be" poisonous one and Virginia Creeper is there as well. More on these later. This is an old "root cellar", so called because it was used to store the fruits and vegetables that were processed from the summer garden. This one, according to an old gentleman that used to live in this area, was constructed by a woman in 1922 (the date is in the grout work) and it was a contributing factor in my purchase of the land. There are other stories about it as well and I will tell those in another post.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear the stories about the cellar.There was one like that on my grandparents farm in Washington County. Some of my fondest memories of my GM was helping her down in that cool mysterious place.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a picture of the cellar when the wagon wheel was intact. Eddie

    ReplyDelete