Monday, August 31, 2009

Ragweed

I have been hard put to find anything good to be said about this plant. It does not have showy flowers or foliage. It does not attract bees or butterflies or hummingbirds. It blooms in August-September and it can make people with allergies, especially hay fever, suffer. It originated in the United States and is said to have been used by Native Americans medicinally and perhaps as a food although I have not found information on the ways it was used. I could say that I do like the spikiness of the flower heads and stop at that.

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the cellar. Can't say I love ragweed, but the info was interesting.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that is ragweed....that is why I am sneezing and sniffing. I think I need zertec...;)

    ReplyDelete