Monday, September 28, 2009

Tussock Moth

This white-marked tussock moth caterpillar was taking a walk on the back gate so I grabbed a leaf for him and set him on a post. I think he is just delightful, every time I see one I think of the little truck that sweeps the streets in town. Take a larger look at him and see those brushes on his lower sides. He has a lot of interest going for him at this stage of his life, as a moth he is a dark gray with tan and black mottling. He feeds on the foliage of trees and shrubs and will pupate in a cocoon spun of silk and hair attached to bark, tree branches or other supports.

2 comments:

  1. That is a marvelous photograph. It is so great to be able to click and enlarge the pic and see all the things that makes these little critter so beautiful.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is kinda pretty isn't he? I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete