Monday, September 14, 2009

White Crownbeard, White Wingstem, Frostweed

I do like this showy wildflower. It always finds a place in and around my pine trees. I prefer the name Frostweed, for the fabulous display this plant gives after the fall season has left us. When this plant has gone to seed and lost it's leaves, the sap in the plant recedes into the roots. On the morning after a hard frost/freeze the stems split and exude the sap that then freezes into fascinating sculpture-like shapes. I can remember the first time I saw this happen and had to go tromping across the field to investigate. Hopefully I will get pictures this year to post. Click on the picture for a larger view.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, another beautiful specimen. It is great to enlarge it and see the fuzzy stems. I too will be looking forward to seeing when it freezes.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, remind me to tell u about the first glance at crownbeard oh yeh!! do i need new specks

    ReplyDelete