Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk

The Red-tailed Hawk is back! They range in height from eighteen to twenty five inches and can have a wing span of forty eight inches. Other members of this family include the Red-shouldered Hawk and Swainson's Hawk. They soar over the fields in search of their prey and I have watched them set motionless and then swoop to capture a field mouse or vole. They feed mainly on small rodents and rarely take poultry even though they are called "chicken hawk" by many people. They have a high pitched descending scream which I love to hear. And that is the sound used in movies for an eagles' scream. I read that it is because the eagle has a wimpy scream. I hope I will get to decide for myself someday. Photo by Shannon Gritton.

1 comment:

  1. It is funny how things get names that are not truly suited to them. I didn't know a chicken hawk didn't eat chickens.

    QMM

    ReplyDelete