Monday, October 12, 2009

Mimosa Tree, Silk Tree

Look what I found growing in the fence line, a mimosa or silk tree. There are none close by that I am aware of, but no matter, a decision has to be made. This tree is loved by many with it's fern like leaves and showy fragrant flowers. It attracts butterflies and hummingbirds. It is a rapid growing and brittle tree and usually short lived. It is hated by many as it produces a large seed crop and reproduces when damaged. This one is barely three feet in height and fetches sixty dollars on line. Do I plant it in a bucket and sell it or take my chances on replanting it somewhere else on the property?

2 comments:

  1. Hello dear Ima. I love Mimosa trees. I know they are not well liked, but I love to see one growing nice and free with no one to care how messy it is. Plant it somewhere where it can be seen and show off and not bother anyone, free and in all its beauty. Enjoy your day off.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too...........AWAY from the yard! We have plenty of them..

    ReplyDelete