Thursday, November 5, 2009

Long Horned Grasshopper

All dressed up for fall, a long horned grasshopper takes a break. The name is because of the very long antennae he has. Did you know that all grasshoppers can fly? They have two pairs of wings, the fore wings are not used for flying, they conceal the hind wings which are folded under them like a fan. He uses those strong legs to launch himself into the air in order to fly. In this part of the world they feed mostly on corn and tobacco and maybe an occasional veggie. The grasshopper is an important food source for birds, spiders and small mammals. There are over 1,000 species in North America and more then 23,000 species world wide. I do remember Aesop's fable of The Ant and the Grasshopper and know this fellow has not put aside any food to see him through the winter.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words. I have the sheep and the chickens finished for a giveaway. I didn't know those grasshoppers could be so colorful. That's what I get for not looking good.
    qMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never spent a lot of time looking at these..they creep me out big time...lol
    and I do think that if I could keep my banana alive long enough it would be able to produce fruit...but I have never had much luck ...I have been trying to start from seed....and always get plants...but the bugs have a love for them...I may have found myself a way to keep them at bay...so wish me luck! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...and if I do get fruit...I am not sure they will be edible!

    ReplyDelete