Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Frost Weed,White Crownbeard, White Wingstem

My post of September 14th was about Frost Weed also known as White Crownbeard and White Wingstem. When the temperatures dip to freezing the stem of the plant splits and the sap that exudes freezes into icy sculptures. Some of these are beautiful as the ice is very thin and can look like ribbon, as it does in this photo. Some of the stems split almost their entire length and result in tall icy towers. Of course, you must be out early to see this, once the sun rises the ice sculptures are history.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your fun words on my post. I love your header and I will probably never get to see the frozen whatever it was I saw on your post today. I had to get up and do something, and I forgot what I read.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! this is fantastic...I have never seen one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very amazing. Mother nature is a wonderful artist. The header is great.

    ReplyDelete