Friday, February 12, 2010

Champion Gourd

The Courier-Journal newspaper in Louisville had sponsored a state wide Biggest Gourd Contest for many years. I didn't consider checking to see what the measurements of other gourd winners were, I just read the requirements for entry. There was only one, you had to share seed with every one that requested them. I sent in my entry and a short time later received a call from Byron Crawford, the man responsible for the contest. He visited and took this photo and wrote an article for the paper. The gourd was the third largest in the contests history at seventy four inches in circumference. That seems small in comparison to the ninety and hundred plus inches that later winners had and maybe one of them was a descendant from my gourd. I received close to fifteen hundred requests for seeds. The counter employees at the post office were kind enough to work with me on the mailings. I took in several envelopes of seed each day for hand canceling. The big gourd cured and was taken with me to craft shows where many people had no idea what it was. I do still have it.

4 comments:

  1. Very impressive..what are your gourd growing tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Ima you are gonna have to have a 'see the area's largest gourd' tour. I didn't realize they got that big.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the mailing was just as impressive-- that's a lot of seeds!! Very generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember well. Your Dad & I carried that monster from the patch to the house.

    ReplyDelete