Monday, February 8, 2010

The Piddlin' Patch

A photo showing one half of the piddlin' patch. There are ten gourd plants in this part of the patch. They were planted ten feet apart and given ten feet on each side, yes they do need that much room and would take more if available. Each gourd plant will produce a main vine, you want to pinch this off at the end when it reaches a length of ten feet, this will force the plant to produce lateral vines which in turn will produce more gourds for you. I had a boundary and any vine that went beyond that became fodder for the mower.

4 comments:

  1. I hope a lot of folks would read this. This is so interesting to me. I put a shout out on my post Saturday. Might add one today. I had no idea you had this big an enterprise for those gourds.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know either and was likewise thinking that you're developing a comprehensive tutorial here with all of your good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the year of the champion gourd?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting, I didn't know about that.
    The Gourds up here are used to paint and make bird houses. Neat post..

    yvonne.

    ReplyDelete