Sunday, April 18, 2010

Take a Closer Look

When you look at a dandelion are you seeing one bright yellow flower? Get closer, because each yellow petal is a flower. About two hundred of these flowers make up the head of the dandelion. When you click on this picture you will see the curled tips that are the actual flowers. To see for yourself just pick a dandelion and gently pull one petal loose and you will see the curled flower and the bit of fluff at the base that will eventually become the parachute to carry the seed on the breeze.
Do you know that the dandelion was brought to this country for it's medicinal purposes and that there was a time when gardeners pulled out the grass to give more growing space to the dandelion.

5 comments:

  1. This year my yard was full of dandelions in bloom. I guess after a long winter, I hated cutting them; it was so pretty to see the bright yellow against the green....
    My dad used to gather certain types of their greens to eat. I did not care for it, but I also know of relatives that made dandelion wine each summer.
    How our views have changed and when something goes from Plant to Weed.

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! So when I saw there are a million dandelions in my backyard, I am not exaggertung! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wish there was a commercial way to salvage those dandelions. Changes are they would make a good remedy for some medical problem, but the drug companies don't want that for sure.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seeing dandelions in a whole new light the past couple of days. Thanks to your post and one over on Cindy's blog. I hope you don't mind if I give you the link to it.

    http://plantsomeroots.blogspot.com/2010/04/do-you-see-flowers-or-do-you-see-weeds.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+plantsomerootsLakewood+%28%22PlantSomeRoots+%40+Lakewood%22%29

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dandelions. What astonishes me is how quickly they grow and spread seed. They're welcome to take over my yard-- everything except the garden, that is!

    ReplyDelete