Sunday, August 15, 2010

Swamp Milkweed

Swamp milkweed is a show-off with it clusters of rose colored flowers, it's spiky willow like leaves and and a stem just kissed with the color of wine. None of this is missed by the beautiful visitor in this photo. Milkweed varieties are beloved by butterflies and Monarch caterpillars can only feed on milkweed or they die. The swamp milkweed is listed as a wildflower and is grown in many gardens.  I like it best just growing wild surrounded by other beautiful weeds.

5 comments:

  1. A marvelous photo. New wildflower for me, as so many of them are. Thanks for the education on them.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that about Butterflys, I think we have milk weed in Maine. As for the Sea Lavender it does't have a sent that I know. In the 90's I worked at Exotic Gardens as a designer and in sales. We used something in arrangements called misty. The sea Lavender looks very much like it very lace and delicate.
    Thank you for the nice compliment.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ima,
    OH my gosh,
    I just saw you put me on your sidebar..
    Thank you so much. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. An Eastern Tiger Swallowtail? Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that milkweed was their only means of survival. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete