Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tachina Fly

A fly not to swat is this member of the tachinid family.You might even want to plant dill, parsley, clover or other herbs to have it nearby. It is beneficial in the  control of squash bugs, stick bugs, and other plant bugs. The larvae of the tachinid family are internal parasites of other insects and moth caterpillars. This is not a fly that transmits disease or contaminates food. The fly members of this family can be quite large, reaching up to 3/4 inch in size and some sport hairy bodies. I think this one is rather pretty.

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with the fly although I wish it had been present in my garden this summer. My squash is a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this one either, Ima, but it makes for an interesting bit of info. Beautiful photo.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete