Sunday, February 20, 2011

Night Search

I wondered later what Mandy was thinking as I called her name and searched for her. She was quick to disappear when we were getting out of the truck. A rabbit, I thought and a moon to assist in the chase. Minutes later I stepped from the house, clapped my hands and whistled, the signal for her to return. The night was cold, beautiful and the sky filled with stars. I was aware of the stillness, there were no sounds of the chase or movement of any kind. More clapping of the hands, whistles and offers of treats called into the night did not return her. I felt a tinge of fear and I stepped back into the house to retrieve a high powered light. Returning to the night I cast beams of bright light all across the fields, calling her name. The light illuminated buildings, the adjoining properties of neighbors, the dam of the pond, everything in it's path. There was no movement of any thing, animal or plant. I called several times more, worry nagging at me now. I was making my way back to the house, thinking I would set the timer and check for her every fifteen minutes when a message arrived from her in my mind. I shone the light into the truck and there she sat, watching me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! Talk about freaking out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your worries were allayed. But the night picture you painted is beautiful. Cold, but alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little devil. She was testing you. Wonderful piece of writing. The love of your heart shows through.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant piece of writing, and validates my abilities to communicate with animals via thoughts, too. I wrote a story in January on my blog about our dog, Wonder Dog, who traveled over the Rainbow Bridge & his communications with me as he was leaving us. It's a beautiful story. I'm so relieved Mandy is home safe. Little buggers can scare the peewad outta ya sometimes! lol She is so beautiful. She is a wise one with mischief twinkling in those radiant eyes. Give her a pooch smooch from me. =]

    ReplyDelete