Wednesday, May 18, 2011

As I See It

I  have been near-sighted most of my life. In the past five years I have had four eye surgeries and two injections of steroids into one eye to stop internal bleeding in the eye. Two of the surgeries were victrectomy, a procedure that removes the jello-like substance (vitreous humor) inside your eye and replaces it with a bubble of gas which is absorbed by the body as the eye regenerates the vitreous humor in the eye. I describe the vision I have now as 'wiggly-squiggly' for I no longer see straight lines. While sitting in the car during a drizzling rain and having a phone conversation today I realized that what I was seeing through the windshield was so very similar to my actual vision that I had to take a picture. Everything has an 'impressionist' look to it and the blades of the ornamental grass which are actually straight and smooth look 'wiggly-squiggly', the prescription in the lens of my glasses does take most of the distortion out. Luckily for many of us that have experienced a macular hole, vitrectomy surgery keeps us in the 'seeing' world and that is a miracle which did not exist just a few years ago.

2 comments:

  1. That is not a bad sight. Gotta live with what we got. You are so inspirational in that respect. Blessings.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This picture looks like an oil painting to me where you can make out the brush strokes.

    My friend gets injection in her eyes (both) to preserve her failing vision due to macular degeneration.

    I am so glad for modern medicine too, for without it, I'd still be in a wheelchair today. I had bilateral hip replacement four years ago and got a new lease on life.

    ReplyDelete